RACI Chemistry Education Division Workshop
Keywords:chemistry education, Australian chemistry education community
Each year, the RACI Chemistry Education Division hold a Discipline Day workshop with a shifting agenda in response to current challenges within the Australian chemistry education realm and the feedback received by attendees.
We welcome all education-interested individuals – students, professional/casual/academic staff, secondary educators in chemistry or science fields. Your thoughts and perspectives are valuable and we hope that these projects can serve the scientific community at large.WORKSHOP ACTIVITIES AND OUTCOMES
In the first session of this workshop (~30 minutes) we will provide a brief summary on a number of key projects discussed at the 2022 ACSME RACI Chemistry Education Division Workshop. These include:
- The development of a modular-based resource collection for undergraduate and postgraduate training in chemistry education research;
- A revamp of the Chemistry Discipline Network website for better functionality and access;
- Building a business case for the introduction of a chemistry education and/or discipline-based education Field of Research (FoR) code for use in ARC grant processes;
- Actively seeking opportunities to host an international conference in chemistry education or discipline-based education more broadly;
- Actively seeking sponsorship opportunities to support RACI Chemistry Education Division awards/bursaries at related conferences and/or financial support for small research projects within our community.
The second session of this workshop (~1 hour) will focus on Project 1 above (bolded). The aim of this session is to:
- Provide community feedback on the proposed structure and identified topics of relevance to chemistry education research;
- Identify existing resources from the community that can be contributed;
- Discuss any missed opportunities or potential contributions.
We would also like to acknowledge the broader RACI Chemistry Education Division committee who volunteer their time without whom these projects would not be achievable.